Travelling Overseas

If you are travelling overseas, make sure you arrange travel insurance before you purchase your tickets. That way, if you happen to become ill prior to departure, your travel insurance should cover any cancellation fees. Many people with a pre-existing chronic medical condition, such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, encounter difficulties when it comes to travel insurance particularly if they have been hospitalised for treatment of IBD in the previous 12 or sometimes even 24 months.

Insurance companies generally don’t have blanket policies when it comes to covering people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD); the decision to provide cover is made on a case-by-case basis taking into account the history and current status of a person’s IBD.

If you already have private health insurance, the best place to start is with your own health fund or provider to determine the level of cover you’ll have when you’re out of the country.

While CCA does not provide travel insurance nor endorse any insurance providers, we may be able to assist you in identifying suitable providers to approach in your specific situation. Certain considerations may apply if travel involves going to a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) with Australia.

For more information, contact our Helpline Coordinator on 1800 138 029.